Lighting Hearts Lighting Homes 2020
Bake from the Heart
We are excited to share with you that we have one more opportunity for you to bake someone happy – and that’s right, it’s for the season of giving!
This Christmas, LHLH will be baking 1000 bottles of cookies of sugared cookies to spread the love and joy with our recipients.
And as always, we cannot do this without your help. Do sign up on the link below if you would like to bake to spread the love!
We will be arranging for the bottles to be delivered to you home and hence require your delivery address. You will receive a SMS before the delivery is made.
Registration is now closed.
For any further information, please drop us an email at [email protected]
Recipe for butter cookies
1. 240g self-raising flour
2. ½ teaspoon salt
3. 142g unsalted butter, room temperature
4. 180g caster sugar
5. 1 large egg
6. 1 large egg yolk
7. 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
8. 100g sprinkles (of your choice)
1. Mix the flour and salt in a bowl
2. Using a hand or stand mixer, mix the butter and sugar together for about 4 minutes or until light and fluffy
3. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla until combined well for about 30 seconds
4. With the mixture on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the dough until combined well. Add the sprinkles. Do not over mix
5. Line your baking tray with parchment paper
6. Roll the dough into a 4cm ball and place on baking tray
7. Cling wrap the tray and place in the fridge for 30 minutes (please note that is an important step in the process and it helps to make the cookies plump. If this step is missed, the cookies turn out flat)
8. Pre-heat oven to 170 deg / 180 deg C, fan-forced
9. Remove the cling wrap and bake for 10-12 minutes (try not to exceed the 12 minutes if you are baking at a lower temperature as it results in cookies which are quite hard)
10. The cookies will expand to about 7cm after baking
11. Let the cookies rest on the baking tray before moving to a cooling rack
12. This recipe yields about 25 cookies. The bottle which measures 10cm in diameter and 20cm in height can hold about 20 cookies.
As we reach out to our beneficiaries, we have a moral obligation to ensure that our processes and products are of the highest quality which means ensuring hygiene and cleanliness. We seek your understanding in the following NEA’s guidelines on Food Hygiene.
FAQs for Xmas Chocolate Chip cookies
1. When do the cookies need to be ready and delivered?
The cookies will need to be delivered to the drop-off venue (TBC) by 20th December. Once the drop-off venue has been confirmed, it will be shared on our WhatsApp group and the website.
2. How soon can I start baking?
Baking no earlier than a week before the delivery date is ideal. So, for example, if the delivery is on the 20th, please only start baking on the 13th. If you are baking smaller amounts, you may even want to start a little later.
Please remember to seal your bottles securely to ensure that the baked goods remain fresh for the beneficiaries. Additionally, ensure that the bottles are filled right up to the top. There should not be any gaps in the bottle before the bottles are sealed.
3. How big are the bottles and how many cookies can fit in each bottle?
The bottles measure 10cm in diameter and 20cm in height. You can fill up to 20 cookies which measure 7cm in diameter in the bottle.
4. Are the bottles sponsored this time as well?
Yes! We will be arranging for the bottles to be delivered to you in a similar fashion (eg. in batches) which is what was done during Deepavali/Diwali.
5.Where can I find stickers to paste on my bottles?
Some of our bakers have purchased them online through platforms such as:
Alternatively, you can create your own at home by writing a message on coloured paper.If you are using images from the internet, please ensure that the images are copyright free.
6. Where can I find details for drop-off or other information?
All essential information such as drop-off venue, time can be found on the website. Please refer to the website for these details and any updates, and note that the venue for drop-off is currently TBC.
7. Who are the baked items for?
The baked items are for recipients from associations with special needs and self-help groups whom celebrate Christmas.
8. I cannot bake the minimum 10 bottles but I am keen to contribute at least 5? Can I still contribute?
Yes, you may wish to ask in the group if another baker is also able to contribute 5 bottles and work together with him/her to bake the total 10 bottles. One person will register and be the point of contact should the team need to liaise with you.
9. Can I modify the recipe?
No. As we wish to ensure consistency in all the baked goods, we request that you keep to the recipe strictly including the size of the biscuits.
The only item where we can have some variety are the sprinkles.On that note, we have not stipulated any brand of butter, eggs or sugar. Please feel free to use a brand you are familiar with.
10. I followed the temperature and time for baking on the website but my cookies did not come out well. What should I do?
Every oven is unique and you will need to do trial bake or bakes before getting the right temperature and time for your oven.
Drop off Details
All cookies are to be dropped off at our collection point from 20th Dec, 9.00am to 12.pm.
Sree Narayanan Mission Care Centre.
394 Race Course Rd, Singapore 218649.
North South Line (NEL 8) Farrer Park Station Exit G.
· Take exit G via Race Course Rd and left into Perumal Rd. Walk along Race Course Rd to Sree Narayana Mission Care Centre.
· Take exit G via Serangoon Rd, walk along Serangoon Rd, turn left after Shell station into Race Course Rd and right to Sree Narayanan Mission Care Centre.
Nearest Bus Stops
Serangoon Road – Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple (07211)
· Alight and walk along Serangoon Rd, turn left after Shell station towards Race Course Rd and right to Sree Narayanan Mission Care Centre.
Serangoon Road – Sri Vadapathira kaliamman Temple (07221)
· Alight, walk against the traffic directions along Serangoon Rd, turn right towards Race Course Rd and right to Sree Narayanan Mission Care Centre.
NR 6, 21, 23, 64, 65, 66, 67, 125, 130, 139, 147, 857
Nearest Carparks lots
• Along Race Course Road
• PGP Hall, 397 Serangoon Road, 218123
• Civil Service Club @ Tessensohn, 60 Tessensohn Road, 217664
• Block 684, Race Course Road, 210684